Programming

Fellow listers,
I have been designing cranes and runways and their related structures since 1967. One of my customers is demanding (nicely) that I give him a program that will design runway beams so he can estimate his costs. I guess he sees me with one foot in the grave (I'm 76). Every thing I have done is on spreadsheets, but I am relectant to give those to him as I think that they reveal too much of the calc process as I detail all the formulas and steps. I want to maintain the mystique of the all-knowing and all-powerful engineer (cackle!). I used to do some of this with Q-Basic which I found easy to use but it seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird. I know of another engineer who had such a program in Q-Basic, but he died and his program went with him.

By coincidence I was approached by another customer seeking a program to design open web steel joists (in Canada all OWSJ are designed for each specific job). I had such a program in Q-Basic but it suddenly stop working, but I still have a hard copy.

I am hoping that some of you might be able to offer some suggestions as to what to use in the way of programmimg.
Gary