-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:23 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Programming

Fellow listers,
I have been designing cranes and runways and their related structures since

1967.  One of my customers is demanding (nicely) that I give him a program
that will design runway beams so he can estimate his costs.  I guess he sees
 me with one foot in the grave (I'm 76).  Every thing I have done is on
spreadsheets, but I am relectant to give those to him as I think that they
reveal too much of the calc process as I detail all the formulas and steps.
 I want to maintain the mystique of the all-knowing and all-powerful engineer
 (cackle!).  I used to do some of this with Q-Basic which I found easy to
use but it seems to have gone the way of the Dodo bird.  I know of another
engineer who had such a program in Q-Basic, but he died and his program went
 with him.

By coincidence I was approached by another customer seeking a program to
design open web steel joists (in Canada all OWSJ are designed for each
specific job).  I had such a program in Q-Basic but it suddenly stop working,
 but I still have a hard copy.

I am hoping that some of you might be able to offer some suggestions as to
what to use in the way of programmimg. Gary