Re: Berkeley balcony collapse leaves 6 students dead

I've also done a fair bit of forensic work on similar problems also. 8 or 9 years is plenty of time to rot out encapsulated joists. The stucco siding can make things far worse. For years now, I have grumbled to our local Building Dept. that we should be looking at waterproofing (even if we spent less time reviewing, observing, and certifying the structural work on residential construction). The building codes & local building departments have chosen to turn a blind eye to waterproofing issues. I would wager that water damage from poor detailing, construction, inspection, and maintenance outweighs structural failure costs in California by an order of magnitude (Billions vs. Millions). The situations is a disgrace to the industry & the problem starts with inadequate Codes.
Chuck Utzman, PE