Re: Berkeley balcony collapse leaves 6 students dead

Waterproofing behind brick/stone is also critical. Sioux Falls SD building
officials choose to not enforce IRC because. "the contractors don't like to
 use flashings, weep holes or maintain air gaps" I have been the engineer
who has forced two contractors to buy back mold infested houses... but they
find an engineer to sign off and resell the house to some unsuspecting soul.
Our building officials are members of HBA and allow the contractors to "treat
 them to alcohol and other favors..." The fox is guarding the chicken coop!!
 Is this happening everywhere or just in South Dakota? Duane D. Boice, PE

On Jun 16, 2015, at 4:12 PM, nma <nma(--nospam--at)nma-se.com> wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> I agree with your comments.  My firm had water intrusion and dry rot
> problems before one project that I had to complete.  (Pacifica, CA - 46
> townhouses).  We had to shore the 2nd storys and remove a glulam beam that
> was distressed.  We  took great care in obtaining an architects detail to
> prevent new water intrusion, then we had another architect expert review
> his detail and then we had special inspection on the actual construction
> by a expert water-protection firm and signed off by them.  I don't remember
> if we didn't have the beam treated also. Of course every balcony on the
> subject building is now suspect. Neil Moore, PE, SE neil moore and associates
> consulting structural engineers shingle springs, california www,nma-se.com
>
>> On 6/16/2015 1:44 PM, Andrew Kester wrote:
>> Very sad and preventable. But they said the building was fairly new and
>> it looked like it was newer architecture and just judging by the finishes,
>> which makes it a bit more surprising. I would bet this is water intrusion
>> and decay damage more than overloading (but I reserve the right to be

Truncated 934 characters in the previous message to save energy.