Re: Berkeley balcony collapse leaves 6 students dead

No, I don't think in Berkeley fox is watching the coop!
Those of you who has had a project know that it is a nightmare to get your
plans and design checked and approved. Very stringent especially on seismic
design .
Best
Hassan Astaneh

On Tuesday, June 16, 2015, dboice(--nospam--at)engtecsrv.com <Dboice(--nospam--at)engtecsrv.com>
wrote:

> Waterproofing behind brick/stone is also critical. Sioux Falls SD building
> officials choose to not enforce IRC because. "the contractors don't like
> to use flashings, weep holes or maintain air gaps" I have been the engineer
> who has forced two contractors to buy back mold infested houses... but
> they find an engineer to sign off and resell the house to some unsuspecting
> soul.
> Our building officials are members of HBA and allow the contractors to
> "treat
> them to alcohol and other favors..." The fox is guarding the chicken
> coop!!
> Is this happening everywhere or just in South Dakota? Duane D. Boice, PE
>
> On Jun 16, 2015, at 4:12 PM, nma <nma(--nospam--at)nma-se.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>>
>> Andrew:
>>
>> I agree with your comments.  My firm had water intrusion and dry rot
>> problems before one project that I had to complete.  (Pacifica, CA - 46
>> townhouses).  We had to shore the 2nd storys and remove a glulam beam
> that

Truncated 1447 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--

 Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
2013 Minner Faculty Fellow in Engineering Ethics and Social/Professional