RE: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos

Also, the guardposts are the kind that sit on top of the deck.  I hate those.
 The support connections appear to penetrate both the deck sheathing and the
 bituthene membrane.  On one of the photos (#12), you can kind of make out
voids on the top edge joist where the guardposts would be.  Could that be a
 source of water intrusion?  Just throwing that our there.

I too noticed that the balcony framing is not pressure treated.

This tragic event is so sad.  In my own assessment, I wonder what else can
a structural engineer do to prevent this.  PT or steel framing?  Detailing
with potential water intrusion in mind?

Ricardo G. Gonzalez, P.E.
C S W | S T 2
CSW/Stuber-Stroeh Engineering Group, Inc.
45 Leveroni Court, Novato, CA  94949
Civil Engineering ∙ Structural Engineering
Planning ∙ Land Surveying & Mapping

main: 415-883-9850          fax: 415-883-9835
direct: 415-884-6442        e-mail: RicardoG(--nospam--at)cswst2.com
links: Web Site ∙ Blog ∙ LinkedIn ∙ Facebook ∙ Twitter

“This message is intended solely for the recipient identified above and
should not be opened, read, or utilized by any other party. This message
shall not be construed as official project information or direction except
as expressly provided in the contract documents”