Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
- Subject: Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos
- From: Chuck Utzman <chuckutzman(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
- Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:22:36 -0700
- List-subscribe: <mailto:SEAINT-SEAOSCfirstname.lastname@example.org>
My understanding about "waterproof" decks is not "Will they leak?" but "When will they leak."? Consequently I _always_ require PT framing.
Chuck Utzman, PE On 6/17/2015 3:24 PM, Ricardo Gonzalez wrote:
Also, the guardposts are the kind that sit on top of the deck. I hate those. The support connections appear to penetrate both the deck sheathing and the bituthene membrane. On one of the photos (#12), you can kind of make out voids on the top edge joist where the guardposts would be. Could that be a source of water intrusion? Just throwing that our there.I too noticed that the balcony framing is not pressure treated.This tragic event is so sad. In my own assessment, I wonder what else can a structural engineer do to prevent this. PT or steel framing? Detailing with potential water intrusion in mind?Ricardo G. Gonzalez, P.E. C S W | S T 2 CSW/Stuber-Stroeh Engineering Group, Inc. 45 Leveroni Court, Novato, CA 94949 Civil Engineering ∙ Structural Engineering Planning ∙ Land Surveying & Mapping main: 415-883-9850 fax: 415-883-9835
Truncated 1850 characters in the previous message to save energy. -------------------------------------------------------------------------Post your message to the list by sending it to: SEAINT-SEAOSC(--nospam--at)mail-list.com.
The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web. These archives are located at: http://archive.mail-list.com/SEAINT-SEAOSC To contact the list owner, send your message to: SEAINT-SEAOSC-list-owner(--nospam--at)mail-list.com. Sponsored By: Pacific Structural & Forensic Engineers Group, Inc. (PSFEG) To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here. <http://cgi.mail-list.com/u?ln=seaint-seaosc&nm=seaintma%40euken.net>
- Prev by Subject: RE: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos
- Next by Subject: Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos
- Previous by thread: RE: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos
- Next by thread: Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos