RE: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos

I second that.

-------- Original message --------
From: Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL <astaneh(--nospam--at)berkeley.edu>
Date: 06/17/2015 10:55 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Berkeley Balcony Collapse-Professional Photos

This message was also sent by astaneh(--nospam--at)berkeley.edu to: LisaFulton(--nospam--at)berkeleyrc.com

Hi Andrew
You are very kind but I don't deserve any thanks  we all thank Lisa Fulton
She is amazing person and material scientist and photographer but she has a
very high plateau camera, I never can use it and even if I do I could not
process the digital negatives. She has high end software for that. We did
reconnaissance of Napa Quake damage last year and her photos are stunning!
May be she can tell you about camera a bit.

Lisa,  would you be kind to give Andrew and others on this Forum a bit of
info on the Camera? You can send your response to me and I will post it or
better yet everyone would welcome you to be a member of this structures
Forum. Then you can directly post. It is great Forum I have learned so much
here.
Best to all
Hassan Astaneh

---------
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015, Andrew Kester <akester74(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hassan,
> Thanks to you and Lisa for sharing those pictures. That is some camera, I
> have to get me one of those! Even though they were shot from across the
> street you could zoom in really close and see lots of detail.
>
> Very clear to me there was very severe rot damage to the joists and the
> floor sheathing. Specifically Photo 7 (9712), the second joist from the
> right had much more severe damage to the top than the bottom, confirming
> the source of water was from the top. It appears the bottom of the second
> beam from the right was swollen unevenly, and the deterioration to both
> of the beams on the right (severe swelling, possible separation of layers
> of wood) makes me think they were LVL or similar engineered lumber versus
> sawn lumber.  Anyone else seeing that? I haven't seen much engineered
> lumber rot damage but sawn lumber doesn't typically swell and come apart
> in layers in my experience.
>
> I don't see counter flashing, or flashing, but the flashing could be
> underneath the membrane.
>
> No roof over the balcony, never helps..

Truncated 1850 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--

 Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL, Ph.D., P.E., Professor
2013 Minner Faculty Fellow in Engineering Ethics and Social/Professional