Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-New photos from Lisa Fulton

LVL or similar engineered lumber, right?

My main point being those deteriorate much more rapidly than sawn lumber,
and cannot tolerate much moisture content increase. Sawn lumber can get wet
as long as it dries out before decay becomes active it often is fine.
LVL/engineered will start delaminating and falling apart even before decay.
All around a bad situation that was made worse.

I am in no way blaming LVL/engineered wood, it is ultimately waterproofing.
But sawn lumber and PT lumber would be a better choice for that type of
situation and provide some other factor of safety. Say they had used sawn
lumber, and though it was leaking there was little structural damage to the
beams, the occupants of the balcony below may have had the opportunity to
notice stains on the ceiling or leaks prior to a structural failure
occurring.

Lots of lessons to be learned from this one, as always with structural
failures.

Thanks again for sharing.

Andrew Kester, PE
Florida

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Abolhassan ASTANEH-ASL <
astaneh(--nospam--at)berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Again thanking her here are two new photos from LIsa Fulton (
> www.berkeleyrc.com,  email:  and lisafulton(--nospam--at)berkeleyrc.com)  shot
> yesterday
> after the collapsed balcony  was removed and the broken joists exposed. I
> have put them on my Google Drive:
>
> <http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/62593503.html>
>
> <http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/39548370.html>
>
> Here is also a story in Daily California ( UC Campus newspaper on it ,
> which has another photo by Lisa.  ( full disclosure, there is a quote from
> me too)
>
> <http://cirrus.mail-list.com/seaint-seaosc/20282514.html>
>
> Best
>
> Hassan Astaneh
> -

Truncated 419 characters in the previous message to save energy.