Re: Fwd: Berkeley Balcony Collapse-New photos from Lisa Fulton

Andrew-
Here is a pretty good piece about the failure. <http://cirrus.mail- list.com/seaint-seaosc/64894725.html second-balcony-questions-over- quality-of-construction-of-library- gardens/> It points out the fact that Cities enjoy sovereign immunity in their role as Building Inspectors. The contractors and design professionals will try to seek refuge under a "standard of care" argument (& will fail). The insurance companies will pay out to policy limits & then just jack up rates a little to cover it.The big winners will likely be the lawyers. IMHO the real culprit is ICBO. The fact is that we build to the Code. If the Code says something is important, it usually gets done right because everybody knows it will be inspected. If we Building Inspectors don't care, generally speaking, no one else does either. It would be nice to see the ICBO added to the coming lawsuit(s),maybe that would get their attention.
Chuck Utzman, PE