Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse - now a criminal case

Neil, that is a depressing Friday afternoon email ;)  At least I do
forensic engineering so this could all be good for me personally?

I have never liked wood framing with stucco for Florida. To me it is a
guarantee you will have cracks and problems, at a minimum you will need to
caulk and paint regularly. Our climate (hot and humid) and weather (wind
and rain) just do not make it a smart, long-term choice. Loose, sandy soils
are common, so settlement is common, and thus cracking in stucco is common
(true for CMU also, but CMU doesn't rot). But we are in a little real
estate resurgence and I am seeing a lot of multi-story residential
apartments and condos using wood frame with stucco in the central and N
Florida areas. The Miami-Dade area seems to have learned their lessons from
Hurricane Andrew and almost everything is CMU/concrete.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:58 PM, nma <nma(--nospam--at)nma-se.com> wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> It isn't just Florida.   There was moisture intrusion and bad stucco work
> in Minnesota - to where the Building Dept at one city stepped in and
> started a large investigation and came up with standard of care and other
> issues.   There were also major problems, about the same time as the
> Florida construction, in California and I became involved for some time
> in the investigations.   It was a combination of deficient stucco and
> flashing application as well as out-of-plane wind loads not being adequately
> addressed.   Most of these homes were in the million dollar range (whole
> tracts) and had scaffolding around many for a number of years.   We may
> see this come again as a new housing boom is beginning here.
>
> On the local scene, California,  people started to get sick from the
> mold.  Then a inspector was called and dry rot and mold were discovered.
> The people in many cases had to move out of their homes.   Then it went
> to litigation and army of experts on each side fought legal battles.  In
> the end many of the people lost their homes.   Also when homes were sealed,
> the problems started anew and we then started looking at the structural
> side and started finding many structural problems.  From page 10 of my

Truncated 1941 characters in the previous message to save energy.