Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Release of Engineer's plans by a city

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

You are not obligated to give consent. Yes you can charge for the letter or
provide plans and charge for them.  When you return a signed letter to the
city they will print and charge the client for the plans, usually up front
of doing any printing.

I deal with this often. 80% of my work this last few years has been
remodels. I is much easier to see the original plans especially if they were 
 engineered. It is always interesting to see what is on the plans compared 
to what they built. Many times I have corrected framing mistakes, that have
been there for years, to comply with the old and new plans.

Joe Venuti

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at) [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)] On
Behalf Of Oshin Tosounian
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 4:06 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Release of Engineer's plans by a city

Is an engineer obligated to give consent for the city to release plans of 
an old project (22+ years) to a new home buyer? In other words, can this new 
 homeowner legally force the engineer to give him/her the consent letter to
the city? and is it illegal to charge a fee for this consent letter? After
all they are trying to use the plans for some sort of new remodeling or
addition work.This is a California jurisdiction, if it make any
difference.Thanks,  Oshin Tosounian, S.E.

Post your message to the list by sending it to: 

The email messages sent to the list will be saved in an archive on the World Wide Web.
These archives are located at:

To contact the list owner, send your message to:

Sponsored By: Pacific Structural & Forensic Engineers Group, Inc. (PSFEG)

To unsubscribe, switch to/from digest, get on/off vacation, or change your email address, click here.