-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Chuck Utzman Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:43 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Berkeley Balcony Collapse

Andrew
I'm a little disappointed that you didn't know that this a nationwide problem.
 The same problem exists everywhere thanks to the ICBO's incompetence.
Building officials don't give waterproofing any attention because the Code
doesn't tell them to. Developers build to the Code, and that shouldn't be a
surprise. I'm going to see if I can get that changed in a couple of towns
here, but I'm not holding my breath. Removing the lower balcony was very
stupid, but not surprising. The Building Inspectors never get called upon
to examine the decayed buildings they have approved. They simply do not
understand the problem-- much less how to fix it. Eventually the Liberty
Gardens' failure will be closely examine by real experts working for the
lawyers. Blame will be assigned, and a lot of money will change hands, the
forensic reports won't be made public, and things will probably continue as
before. I am not a lawyer, but it feels like criminal negligence on the part
of ICBO and the City Building Inspectors everywhere--who have elected to
remain ignorant. I saw a news item the other day estimating 6,500 hospitalizations
due to deck failures since 2002. I'd guess hundreds of billions in water
damage during that time. Maybe 6 dead kids will get their attention now.
We'll see.

This e-mail may contain proprietary information of the sending organization.

Truncated 450 characters in the previous message to save energy.