Re: Berkeley Balcony Collapse

Hi Daryl-
Please jump in, since it sounds like SEOC intends to get involved, the more comments the better. IMO this is much bigger than cantilevered decks. Water infiltration is destroying joists, beams, shearwalls, etc. Unfortunately, nobody seems to pay much attention until we kill a bunch of people with a deck collapse.i.e. 1996 S.F. deck dumped a dozen people but only one died, 2015 Fresno stringer failed one dead, 2015 Berkeley collapse 6 dead & 7 badly injured (at least one paralyzed for life). What is our responsibility in all this? I don't think it is that hard to fix, but somebody needs to get serious about it.
Chuck Utzman, PE