  Original Message
From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc.
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 4:38 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Reply To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Fence Panel Evaluation

I will add my 2 cents worth which is about 1.5 cents USA. The Canadian
standard S157 is hard to follow and according to an engineer who sat on
the S157 committee, there was a lot of dissension. I use the American
Aluminum Association Design Manual 2010 which is a lot easier to use -
my opinion but a couple of other engineers agree.
Gary

Gary L. Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON
tel: 905-357-6406
fax: 905-357-4852
email: design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca

On 9/25/2015 5:23 PM, Thor Tandy wrote:
> My $0.02 worth.
>
> In Canada we have CSA S157 with relevant equations for capacities etc and
> ASTM has aluminum standards ...?
>
> Except for weld-heat impact, the equations are similar (not identical) to
> those for steel and other homogeneous isotropic materials. So you could
> use Mr=.9*S*Fy and use Fy = 1/2 the specified strength ... etc
>
> Single anchor at bottom seems a little light ...? And I didn't think 6061
> alloy came with 'T5' temper ... my data book shows 'T4' and 'T6' but that
> might be Canada ...
>
> I'd check that the 5052 alloy works, especially with the reductions if
> welded. It's used more for architectural work than structural but it might
> be enough.
>
> Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
> Victoria, BC
> Canada

Truncated 942 characters in the previous message to save energy.