Re: Anchor bolt sleeve - Pretension force

Ravi,

ASCE 7-10 15.7.5 and C15.7.5:
Gauge length=(8)x(anchor diameter).

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
connect(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

> On Oct 2, 2015, at 8:02 AM, Vasu, Ravi <Ravi.Vasu(--nospam--at)jacobs.com> wrote:
>
> List,
>
> I have an anchor bolt case for  a compressor foundation done recently.
> A sleeve, 2 ft long is provided at top for a 2.5" dia(A354, Grade BC), 6.5
> ft long. The bond breaking tape below the sleeve is missed by construction.
> The anchor bolt needs to be pre tensioned for 125 kips for 2.5 inch dia
> bolt suggested by compressor vendor. I have gone through several articles.
> One of the articles by Rick Drake(Fluor) says,  Sleeve at top is sufficient
> for the stretching of the bolt.  My concern is the concrete below the
> sleeve may go through some cracks (bond strength available is small < 20
> kips) before the cone action starts from the bottom nut of the A bolt to
> counteract the pretension force.  If sleeve is sufficient(need back up
> tech. article), how much length is required?.
>
> Let me know your thoughts on this.
>
> Thanks

Truncated 459 characters in the previous message to save energy.