Re: Sloped Column

Are IMF's allowed in Seismic Design Vstegoty D or worse? What code are you
designing to? Though the battered columns are not part of the lateral force
resisting system, I would be very conservative and design them for the
forces from the R=1 design forces. They must remain stable for axial plus
P-delta.

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015, Behnam Heydari <behnamheydari_80(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
 wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I have an 8 stories steel structure
> in a high seismicity area for design, the architect used 4 sloped columns
> at the exterior walls, these unconventional columns are angled to create
> open spaces.
>
> I know that for some systems like
> diagrid, the building code requires that sloped column should remain
> elastic
> during a seismic event, therefore, the response modification factor, R,
> is required to be in the range of 1.0 to 1.5 but am I required to use these
> values for my case too?  As I have just 4 sloped columns surrounding my
> structure and others are vertical (the system is an intermediate moment).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Behnam Heydari

Truncated 380 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
David Topete, SE